Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: iTunes | Android | RSS
This week we discuss a crap-ton of launches, Wildstar’s Livestream and AMA, Crowfall’s knight powers, ESO’s “holy-crap-did-you-release-a-new-game”-sized patch, and more! Welcome to Casual Core Radio, where our launches are more frequent, but crash less, than SpaceX’s…
WildStar Livestream and AMA Recap
- Tera “Go Berzerk”
- Maple Story 2 Open Beta http://news.mmosite.com/content/2015-07-07/maplestory__enters_open_beta_today_with_new_trailer_released.shtml
- Skyforge open beta http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Skyforge-Open-Beta-Launches-Month-72849.html http://www.neoseeker.com/news/27052-skyforge-f2p-mmo-collaboration-between-obsidian-and-allods-starts-open-beta-on-july-16/
- Cabal 2
- Civilization online, From XL Games, releases 2 videos http://news.mmosite.com/content/2015-07-04/civilization_online_revealed_two_concept_videos.shtml (treading carefully here!)
- Action RPG Devilian announced, from Trion (also treading carefully) http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/327964/Trion+Worlds+reveals+Devilian,+a+new+ARPG-MMO/
Crowfall’s Knight Powers, and lamp detailed
ESO: 15GB PS4 patch
WildStar – Black Dagger Society’s Liestyles of Nexus – https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/128865-lifestyles-of-nexus-iv-a-new-home/
If I Were a Dev
Let’s talk class stories… because SWTOR and GW2, as well as TSW took radically different approaches, and now SWTOR is on nearly the same track as GW2 and TSW.
- Class stories or central story? Or both?
- How pervasive would the story be (% in game tasks advancing the story vs other tasks)
- How many expansions would you pre-design, including cinematics, soundtrack, and voice acting, would you have ready-and-waiting by launch?
- Central story. SWTOR’s right to make the change
- 100% of non-repetitive tasks would advance the central story, though only 50% would feel like it does.
- At least enough for three years of main-story advancement – given an 18mo or so expansion cycle, the main game and two expansions. Very important for audio!
- Central + zones + class-based thing per zone
- The only “quest-ish” things would affect the story
- No idea. As much as possible before the studio made me launch too early.
This week’s end music is The Siege of Alderaan from Star Wars: The Old Republic.